Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Shooting Challenge - January 15, 2012 - Dew


Title:  Dawn
Date Taken:  02/27/10
Location:  Anahuac, Texas
F-Stop:  f/5.6
Exposure Time:  1/400 sec
ISO:  400
Focal Length:  80mm
Photographer:  Kitty Carlisle

Seems like everywhere I go lately, the topic of how badly we need water here in the Sierras comes into the conversation.  That makes me stop to reflect on our Texas mornings, when I awoke to fields kissed with the glimmer of morning dew, transforming the most basic subjects into shimmering jewels.  For this week's shooting challenge, I wanted to concentrate on dew.  

Popular subjects to look for when photographing dew include spider webs, wildflowers, dragonflies, grasses, butterflies, leaves, and of course, the classic rose.  Dew presents a very limited window of opportunity, searching for the perfect balance of having enough morning light to show off your subject, and having too much warming sun to evaporate your due.  Usually, you have about an hour.
 
Capturing droplets of dew requires macro photography, and wind can be your biggest enemy.  Even the slightest breeze can ruin your frame.  I recommend a longer lens so you don't disturb the dew by getting too close to your subject.  Sharp focus and a shallow depth of field are extremely important, and I always use a tripod and a remote release to aviod lens shake.

I hope you will join me this week in getting out and looking for that rare moisture in our area.  Have fun and take the time to enjoy the stillness and the beauty in the detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment