Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blaze of Gl;ory

Beats Walkin' & Blaze driven by Red Black & Steven Thompson

Blaze found his way to his current home in Sliver Springs, Nevada by rescue endeavors from his owner Steven Thompson.  Starving and neglected, Blaze was so weak, the vet wasn't sure he would survive his first days in his new surroundings.  Through loving patience and perseverance, Steven slowly transformed Blaze from a fragile creature, terrified of everyone around him, into a beautiful, dedicated animal.  And today was Blaze's day to learn about driving!

Myself a novice to the process, I was thrilled with the opportunity to come out and observe first hand how Steven breaks a horse to drive, from the ground up.  Through connections with my equine photography and Steven's kindness, I have been blessed with meeting many drivers and watching them work with their horses this year.  I have been completely impressed with these men and women and their hard work and tallent, and also with the skills and loyalty of the animals they drive.  2012 was an educational year for me, from endurance drives, to arena shows, the Highway 50 Wagon Train and Reno Cattle Drive, the Sierra Ghost Riders Wagon Train and Gold Rush Days, to parades and wagon rides.  Although I didn't know exactly what to expect from today's lesson, I was sure it was going to be spectacular!  

My first hint that things were going to be even better than I imagined was when Steven headed out to "try to catch" Blaze.  Apparently, Blaze was napping.  I had pictured the frightened animal I remember from the early days, charging around, just beyond Steven's grasp.  What I saw was Blaze sitting on the ground, with Steven sitting on his back.  Brave? Crazy?  Or just that good?  Steven solicited the assistance of his friend and fellow driver Red Black and chose to keep Blaze closely paired with Beats Walkin', a seasoned driving horse.

Blaze was amazingly calm and courageous from the beginning.  When something startled or confused Blaze, Steven was there with a gentle hand and a quiet voice to sooth him.  I could not believe how willingly Blaze took the collar.  And then the bridle.  He never flinched at the harness, even with sleigh bellls jingling all around.  Within only a few minutes, Steven was ground driving Blaze around the yard, first assisted by Red with a lead rope, and then completely on his own.  Blaze stood patiently while Beats Walkin' was harnessed, and soon he found himself attached to the neckyolk, and he and BW were being team ground driven.  With the experience BW for guidance and support, Blaze took to it immediately.  Within forty minutes of being awakened from his nap, the new student was hitched to the team cart and feeling its weight for the first time.  

I was completely shocked Blaze had progressed so quickly through so many lessons. Starting slowly and allowing Blaze to adjust to his new situation, Steven took a few trips around the yard with Red close at hand.  After assessing his new subject, Steven drove Blaze and BW onto the road, venturing further and further away with each pass.  Before I knew it, Red was in the cart, and they disappeared - completely out of sight.  All that was left of them was laughter drifting through the air, mixed with the faint sound of sleigh bells ringing down the trail.  I stood mystified, enjoying the fading sounds of success.  I could not believe an hour ago this was all foreign to Blaze.  I assumed it would have taken weeks, if not months, to train him to do so much.  I was overwhelmed with a sense of appreciation of just how amazing horses really are.  And maybe just a hint of the special bond between a horse and its human.  And yes, even a reminder of why I am impressed with a few human beings.  Then I heard it.  The unmistakable sound of bells drawing nearer.  And nearer.  And they were coming fast.  Really fast!  What an incredible sight to see them in a full run!  In an hour, I witnessed Blaze develop from a horse confused by the idea of taking a collar to a horse excited with a purpose.  Blaze, in all his glory.  Simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment